New forum format

Postings about the new forum format and related matters.

New forum format

Postby Mr. Mike » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:57 am

I am trying out this new format for the Discussion Forum. It might take a while getting used to this, because there are a lot of settings.

Suggestions are welcome for other topics of discussion than the ones which we have now.
Mr. Mike
Site Admin

Re: New forum format

Postby Fred » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:20 pm

Mr. Mike: The new board looks good. You must put in a good amount of time. Your time is appreciated in keeping your site going. Fred from Chatsworth
Fred

Postby ringfire211 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:50 pm

Mike, are you able to add a link here to take us to your main Five-O page?
ringfire211

Postby Mr. Mike » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:57 pm

There is a link at the upper left under "phpBB" now.
Mr. Mike
Site Admin

Postby ringfire211 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:15 am

Perfect! Just one thing - when I click on that link my login session on here terminates so when I go back to the guestbook (via the guestbook link on the main page) I need to re-login again. I have my settings set to automatically log me in when I enter the guestbook. This works in all other instances when I enter the guestbook except for when I do it after first clicking the link you provided here.
ringfire211

Postby Mr. Mike » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:11 pm

I have no idea how to fix this in the way you want. Merely adding the link you requested to get to my WWW page caused all sorts of screwups because I am not that familiar with the kind of coding (php) that the people who made phpBB use. Fortunately I was able to get this fixed by finding a backup copy of what was already installed and overwriting one of the files.

If you click on the link above to go to the Home Page and do stuff on the Home Page, then click back-back-back you will get back to the discussion forum and still be logged in.

Also, if you right-click on the link above and choose "Open link in new window" or "Open link in new tab," you can do stuff on those newly-opened pages, then come back to the tab where the Discussion Forum is open, and you will still be logged in.
Mr. Mike
Site Admin

Postby ringfire211 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:36 am

Mike, if it's too much trouble then don't worry about it. This stuff can get a bit tricky. I can use the back button if need be. Also I'm mostly using my iPhone for all this so right-clicking might be a bit problematic ;)

Keep up the good work!
ringfire211

Postby Mr. Mike » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:28 am

Yes, "it is too much trouble," LOL. There are limits to "you asked for it, you got it" around here... :roll:

On at least one of the browsers on my Android phone, if you hold your finger on a link, you can get the equivalent of "open in a new tab." I don't know if this is possible on an iPhone; I haven't had an iPhone for some time. I haven't tested this on my current phone, because I have no idea how to manoeuver between tabs in this browser; my needs on my phone are relatively simple.

I don't know how you can cope with this new forum format on an iPhone, actually, I found it really a pain to view on my Samsung Galaxy.
Mr. Mike
Site Admin

Postby ringfire211 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:21 pm

Yeah I don't know how tabbing works either on a smartphone. I'm guessing it just opens up a new page. But I must say this site is fairly simple to use on my iPhone. No real problems to speak of, aside from that session issue which doesn't really have anything to do with a smartphone anyway. It's something in that php functionality I guess.
ringfire211

Return to Mr. Mike's Forum