Do you like this new forum format or not?

Postings about the new forum format and related matters.

Do you like this new forum format or not?

Postby Mr. Mike » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:58 am

Though this board has been here for a couple of months now, there are only >19< registered members.

In case you guys (I am thinking of people like Rainbow Warrior and Big Chicken) are not aware of it, you can post to the board as a "Guest" without actually registering with a user name and password.

If you don't want to do this, I can certainly sympathize as someone who gets kind of fed up with all the user names and passwords that are required (assuming you don't use the same one for all of them) on "social media."

I don't know if making the board so that "Guests" (i.e., lurkers who don't post anything) would not be able to see any of the postings at all would help matters.

Some of the postings here have hundreds of views, a few are even in to the thousands! Surely these numbers are not coming from spam-bots "lurking" on the site!
Mr. Mike
Site Admin

Do you like this new format or not?

Postby H50 1.0 FOREVER* » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:24 pm

Personally, I prefer the old format. Just saying.
H50 1.0 FOREVER*

Do you like this new format or not?

Postby Mr. Mike » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:10 am

I switched to this new forum format because some people didn't like the old one where the conversation was much more random, and you could not follow threads on certain topics easily.

I have now changed the board so that if you want to read forums and contribute, you have to register and log in (except for this board, where anyone can still read and post).

What do you think? Which format do you prefer?

By the way, H50 Forever, you should do a Google search for "just saying" (including the quotes). You may discover that this expression means different things to different people ... just saying. ;)
Mr. Mike
Site Admin

Re: Do you like this new format or not?

Postby RickNewportBeach » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:30 am

Mr. Mike wrote:Some of the postings here have hundreds of views, a few are even in to the thousands! Surely these numbers are not coming from spam-bots "lurking" on the site!

I was actually looking at that very thing the other day. Some posts have lots of looks but few people are posting. Not sure if compelling viewers to login will bring posters into the site or keep them away. There's probably statistics on that somewhere.

A wise man once said (in season 9, episode 11)...

“He drew a circle that shut me out - Heretic, rebel, a thing to flout. But love and I had the wit to win: We drew a circle and took him In!"

...so, there you go.
RickNewportBeach

Postby H50 1.0 FOREVER* » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:45 pm

I apologize if some people have placed derogatory meanings on the phrase "just saying." I meant it as "For whatever it's worth." From now on, I'll say, "For whatever it's worth."
H50 1.0 FOREVER*

Postby Mr. Mike » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:50 pm

Rick, I made it so anyone could post without registering, and still very few people (I won't say "no one") were taking me up on my offer.

I think before this new forum format there was only a core couple of dozen people posting regularly and most of them are the ones who are registered users now.
Mr. Mike
Site Admin

Postby H50 1.0 FOREVER* » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:51 pm

That quote came from Edwin Markham's "Outwitted." McGarrett quoted him.
H50 1.0 FOREVER*

Re: Do you like this new forum format or not?

Postby Mr. Mike » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:04 pm

Never mind, I have reverted back to allowing guests to view and post in a limited manner, because there is another method of getting people's attention, which you will likely see shortly...
Mr. Mike
Site Admin

Postby ringfire211 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:25 pm

RickNewportBeach wrote:“He drew a circle that shut me out - Heretic, rebel, a thing to flout. But love and I had the wit to win: We drew a circle and took him In!"

Why, that would be from "Target-A Cop"!! :) One of the very best from season 9.
ringfire211

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:03 pm

No. I liked the old format. Although I hardly ever posted, I read every word.
Since the format change I've only read a few posts.

More details, please

Postby Mr. Mike » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:29 am

Dear Mysterious Guest, can you please give more specific details as why you liked the old forum better and don't like the new one?
Mr. Mike
Site Admin

Flip-flopping re registration again

Postby Mr. Mike » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:18 am

Unfortunately, because of some spammy postings containing links which end in .in (India), I have had to revert again to require people to register if they want to post. I have also changed it so that you can post links, but you cannot make them clickable. If you see a link which looks fishy or has been posted by someone you don't know (and I would even be wary about posts from people you do know), then DO NOT copy and paste these links to your browser (the method which was used on a lot of the links posted on the old forum).

[UPDATE (Oct. 31): A while ago, I changed the above, so people can again post as "guests" (without registering) and can make clickable links by selecting the links and then clicking on the "URL" button above. So far this situation hasn't gotten out of control. I would still use extreme caution with clicking on links from people you do not know. I am not alerted every time there is a new posting on the board so I can deal with things like this.]
Mr. Mike
Site Admin

Postby Theresa » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:33 pm

I think I am' the mysterious guest'. I said that I hardly ever posted but read every word of everyone's posts. I loved the old show and never tire of reading or hearing about it but I hardly ever have anything to contribute of any great depth.
The old format was easy for me--just start reading at the top and sail on thru all the posts. I am not particularly interested in particular threads; I am interested in everything.
So, no I do not like the new format. The old one was as comfortable as an old shoe.
Theresa

Postby todd » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:51 pm

I am the one who suggested the new format.

I found it tough to participate in the old one, especially with the guestbook being used for a mixture of old and new Five-O.

This is much easier, and it's especially better for looking up responses to my posts.
todd

Return to Mr. Mike's Forum