What happened to the old Discussion Board...

Postings about the new forum format and related matters.

What happened to the old Discussion Board...

Postby ringfire211 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:47 pm

...which briefly showed up yesterday and then disappeared??
ringfire211

Re: What happened to the old Discussion Board...

Postby RickNewportBeach » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:56 pm

I was wondering the same thing?
RickNewportBeach

Postby Mr. Mike » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:11 am

I was trying to see if I could make the old forum work, but there were some technical problems.

I don't think it is a good idea to offer two versions of the forum at the same time.

Since I put this new forum software into place, the number of postings dropped from about 90 a month to about 75 a month.

More recently, it looks like no one is really interested in talking about the show (either one). Days go by with no postings at all. I guess people have other priorities in their lives.

I am thinking of just shutting the whole thing down soon.
Mr. Mike
Site Admin

Postby ringfire211 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:37 pm

Well of course we do have other things going on in our lives and there's only so much you can discuss. But that's no reason to shut the whole thing down. Just let it sit there. I do like to pop in regularly to see what's being discussed. It's too valuable to just shut down.
ringfire211

Postby Jeff*H » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:34 pm

Yes, what ringfire said! I visit daily to read posts, more interesting than the new H50 by far!
Jeff*H

Postby RickNewportBeach » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:02 am

Honestly, I think the inclusion of the fake five-o killed the site. Just look at the amount of traffic and quality of discussion back before the abomination...
RickNewportBeach

Postby Mr. Mike » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:11 pm

I don't think so. We were discussing Five-Zero on the old board since it started in September, 2010, and, in fact, there were often so many posts about it that I had to split the archived months into multiple parts.
Mr. Mike
Site Admin

Postby ringfire211 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:42 pm

I think you're fretting too much about the traffic that the site is getting (or not getting). Personally I think this should be a non-issue. This isn't a business or commerce site whose sole purpose is to increase traffic in order to generate revenue. It's just a fan site. Folks who want to post will post. Folks who choose not to will not. Those who just want to visit can do that too. Those who abandoned the site completely have that right too. So I really don't see an issue. You shouldn't be bending over backwards or stressing trying to bring back old posters or increase traffic. Do I miss Big Chicken? Sure, it would be nice to read some of his hip sayingzes every now and then. But it's not the end of the world. It's all good. Life goes on.
ringfire211

Postby Mr. Mike » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:16 am

I'm not particularly concerned about the traffic as I am the posting. But then, if you look at a lot of "commercial" sites which have a comment section at the end, many of these rarely have any comments at all, so maybe what's going on around here is not that much different, to employ a Five-O reference.

At least if you post on my site you can do this without registering, and if you do register, you don't have to give up your entire Facebook profile and list of friends to do so, like you do with many of these these commercial sites which I'm sure many people find invasive.

(But maybe not -- a lot of people seemingly don't care about shit like this, because places like Google, Twitter and Facebook make billions of dollars from people who mindlessly click on anything, which to me is like people watching TV and only looking at the commercials.)
Mr. Mike
Site Admin

Postby RickNewportBeach » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:49 pm

I hope you keep it going Mike. I appreciate the time and effort you put into it.
RickNewportBeach

Postby RickNewportBeach » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:29 pm

Interesting... yesterday the new format had the most users so far:

"Most users ever online was 19 on Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:39 am"
RickNewportBeach

Postby Mr. Mike » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:32 pm

I actually reset that statistic a couple of days ago. Back in August there was a time when there was a VERY large number of users on line at once, but I suspected they were bots trying to hack their way into the system.
Mr. Mike
Site Admin

Postby ringfire211 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:49 am

Yep keep it going Mike. We all check in from time to time. Just a lot of other stuff going on. Work, personal, family, holidays going into full swing, and there are still movies I'd like to catch up on. Really need to go see Mel Gibson's HACKSAW RIDGE and the new one from Robert Zemeckis ALLIED (with Brad Pitt and Marion Cotillard). I'm a sucker for WWII and espionage stuff!
ringfire211

Return to Mr. Mike's Forum