Season 2 - Top 3 Faves

The original, starring Jack Lord and James MacArthur, still going strong after almost 50 years.

Season 2 - Top 3 Faves

Postby Jeff*H » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:36 pm

My pick:

1. Forty Feet High, and It Kills- Wo Fat at his best in a battle of wits with McGarrett; this episode featured one of my favorite music scores (by Richard Shores). Will Geer as Lochner was a perfect foil for Wo Fat, and Sabrina Scharf was simply gorgeous.

2. Sweet Terror- Theodore Bikel plays one of the great Five-O bad guys, and his clash with McGarrett is a classic; another great Shores score!

3. Run, Johnny, Run- Jack Ging, Christopher Walken and Jack Lord all give riveting performances, and McGarret's fight with Nephi Hanneman on the hillside is particularly brutal.
Jeff*H

Re: Season 2 - Top 3 Faves

Postby ringfire211 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:17 am

1. The Singapore File - dir. Robert Gist
The chemistry between Jack Lord and Marj Dusay was off the charts! Without a doubt these 2 made the best couple on the show. Shame it was never meant to be. I dig the whole story of McGarrett on the run with an important witness in tow, dodging bullets and shadows in the night, running through a gauntlet of killers, not knowing who to trust. Fantastic stuff! Great score by Morton Stevens too - this may have been the first time we heard the "memories theme" which plays during the intimate moments between McGarrett and Nicole.

2. A Bullet for McGarrett - dir. Paul Stanley
Just an excellent episode through and through! I can't understand why there's so little praise for it out there. It's easily one of the best! Eric Braeden gives his all-time best performance here as Dr. Paul Farrar. I totally dig the whole hypnotizing story - it's pretty creepy on the whole. Braeden's hypnotic voice is just perfect for this. The music by Richard Shores during the hypnosis scene on the beach is just perfect! We even get a cameo by Wo Fat!

3. Blind Tiger - dir. Abner Biberman
Jack Lord really goes to town with his acting chops here, having to play a blind McGarrett. His frustrations over being completely helpless are really palpable! Marion Ross is excellent as Nurse Lavallo, who holds her own against him and let's him know that he better put his stubbornness aside and listen to her if he's ever to function again. The killer with the coke-bottle glasses lurking around to finish off McGarrett adds to the suspense and tension.
ringfire211

Postby Steven from Miami » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:34 pm

1. A Thousand Pardons--You're Dead!- Great dramatic tension between McGarrett and Sgt. Simms--Harry Guardino's best Five-0 performance. There's also the effective scene between Guardino and legendary character actor James Hong, when the latter is literally, well, you know what happens. The scenes between Danno and Barbara "Yoko" Luna are also excellent. Let's also not forget the final scene that deals with Simms' (apparently) multi-take fate. :lol:

2. Forty Feet High and it Kills!- Wo Fat strikes! Grandpa Walton verbally duels with Mr. Fat and McGarrett and Sabrina Scharf get to spend some time together. Nice music cue when Wo's henchmen steal the insulin from the future "Robin's Nest", too.

3. Sweet Terror- Theodore Bikel would have made for a fine recurring villain, but "The Beast" manages to be memorable in his only appearance. Another early use of the future "Robin's Nest" from Magnum, P.I., a series that is more Five-0 than the 2010 regurgitation, but bizarrely ignored here.
Steven from Miami

Postby Mr. Mike » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:33 pm

If you have posted your Top 3 Faves here, PLEASE click on "Board Index" in the upper left corner and go to The Polling Station and enter your choices there as well!
Mr. Mike
Site Admin

Postby bmasters9 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:43 pm

These are my three second-season favorites:

"The Singapore File"
"Cry, Lie"
"Most Likely to Murder"

I don't know how to explain the first two, but I can explain "Most Likely": it's at the end where McGarrett gets mad at Lew Morgan for killing Gary Oliver. Per McGarrett: "Every cop on this island has been working overtime to help you, and you just kicked every one of them in the teeth. Now they'll have to work double-time to try to prove to the public that they're not all a bunch of killers hiding behind a badge."

Also, the part where it's exposed that Lew killed his wife as well (it was one of those "last person you suspect" deals) was incredibly surprising the first time I saw that episode from the second-season DVD release.
bmasters9

Postby ringfire211 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:33 pm

I actually kinda suspected Lew Morgan a little (or at least I didn't rule him out as a suspect) but when he tells Gary Oliver at gunpoint that "I didn't say you killed her, I said she's dead because of you" then you pretty much know at that point that Lew killed his wife. That's the reveal right there, not at the end in McGarrett's office.
ringfire211

Postby bmasters9 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:50 pm

ringfire211 wrote:I actually kinda suspected Lew Morgan a little (or at least I didn't rule him out as a suspect) but when he tells Gary Oliver at gunpoint that "I didn't say you killed her, I said she's dead because of you" then you pretty much know at that point that Lew killed his wife. That's the reveal right there, not at the end in McGarrett's office.

Never thought of it that way! I guess I wasn't clear-- that part that I quoted about McGarrett being mad was near the end, in Gary Oliver's apartment. Lew had shot Gary Oliver, and then called McGarrett; when McGarrett got there, he discovered that Gary was well and truly dead, and then laid into Lew about how Lew invalidated all the work of the cops by shooting Gary.

This is the scene I was referring to, and that I did not clearly specify in the first post:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOit7JltptE
bmasters9

Postby Fred » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:29 am

My top 3 episodes for Season 2 are:

1) The Joker's Wild, Man, Wild! - An interesting tale of two guys vying for Jo Louise's full attention. Kaz Garas always makes for a good "bad guy". I like the episode the most when Billy starts empathizing with the bum (Eddie Firestone) and ends up protecting him, at the cost of his own life, in the end. Good drama. And Jo Louise was a good temptress. I also enjoy the episodes shot in the Kaimuki district.

2) Just Lucky I Guess - Jack Lord is great in this one. I love how he chides Marty and all other tourists who misuse their time in Hawaii. And I like when Marty finally stiffens his spine and stands up to Charley Bombay. I didn't find Elaine Joyce as a creditable teenage bimbo. Her acting was fine, but I thought she was too old for the part. Ann Helm was also very good as the sister. And there are some good Ala Moana mall scenes.

3) Kiss the Queen Goodbye - I like the plot idea for the theft of the queen's necklace and the planning behind it. And after watching the episode a few times, the kid's entry song gets stuck in your mind and it's always fun to see if you can identify that song in later episodes. The history info from the governor was enlightening as well. And I have to admit that I seem to enjoy episodes more if the guest actors had been in the original Star Trek show like Joanne Linville.
Fred

Postby ringfire211 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:36 pm

bmasters9 wrote:Never thought of it that way! I guess I wasn't clear-- that part that I quoted about McGarrett being mad was near the end, in Gary Oliver's apartment. Lew had shot Gary Oliver, and then called McGarrett; when McGarrett got there, he discovered that Gary was well and truly dead, and then laid into Lew about how Lew invalidated all the work of the cops by shooting Gary.

No, I understand which scene you're referring to (powerful scene by the way!) but you also mentioned the very end in McGarrett's office where it's "revealed" that Lew killed his wife and you mentioned how shocked you were when you first saw it. I was just saying that by that point it wasn't that much of a shock or reveal because we pretty much already knew by that point that Lew was the killer. The real reveal was before Lew shot Oliver when he told him that "she's dead because of you". It's all in Lew's eyes and the way he says it that you know he's the killer. Plus he's the only remaining suspect. If it wasn't Oliver then it has to be Lew. There were no other remaining suspects at that point. The end in McGarrett's office was basically just tying up loose ends.
ringfire211

Postby John Chergi » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:21 am

Classic HFO Fans. My FAV Top 3 Season 2 HFO Episodes: 1.The Singapore File-A brilliant episode from start to finish. McG trying to protect a key witness from certain death in Singapore. Nicole is both resourceful and sexy and McG and Nicole have a sizzling chemistry. I love the part with their wind-swept hair in the back of the open truck. Future uncertain but both alive. The shootout at the temple one of the best in the series.

2.All The King's Horses-Love this episode. I enjoy watching this each time. Many moving parts and interesting characters. There's Mike Finney cleaning up his life but forced to go talk to the Committee. Plus there's an assassination attempt while McG attends a party. Investigator Fletcher is blown away as he tries to frame McG with a few typed sentences and envelope of money. Add a young hitman who has a contract to eliminate Finney and All The King's Horses is an amazing episode.

3.Just Lucky I Guess-Poor Marty Sloane. He witnesses the death of an attractive young woman while hiding on a terrace. Sloane has to wrestle with what he has seen and also becomes the target of syndicate man Charlie Bombay. McG has plenty to do in this episode trying to keep Sloane alive and to convince him to admit Bombay was the man who killed the young high-priced hooker. There's also a good character the kid sister who is played by an undercover police woman. McG has to protect her as well from becoming another victim.
John Chergi

Postby John Chergi » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:42 am

Have to fit Cry, Lie in the Top 3 somehow but I like my other 3 choices. They sure do an excellent job of framing Chin Ho Kelly. McG fought hard for Chin Ho to show he was innocent. McG makes a small error telling Saunders he was going to bring in some of the other people with accounts at the bank. Saunders would have time to review the accounts and put a name with a face. Instead, he was liquidated by Callo's associates. The Cry, Lie ending I wrestle with after several watchings. My guess is McG wanted to turn the heat up on Callo. He sure did crumble when Danny & Kono were chasing him and shooting near him. Chin Ho was a good, honest cop and he deserved his HFO job back and name cleared. Do you think in Cry, Lie Chin Ho should have been more forceful and investigatory in his own defense?
John Chergi

Postby John Chergi » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:38 am

Season 2 has some Classic episodes. A Bullet For McGarrett is very suspenseful. The story is strong throughout with a WO FAT appearance and excellent acting by Dr. Farrar. Plenty of action and unique deaths.
Most Classic HFO fans have Cry, Lie and Singapore File in their Top 3. Can't disagree there. Season 2 and 3 HFO McG and Company started to hit their stride.
John Chergi

Return to Classic Hawaii Five-O (1968-1980)